Our online courses require access to either a PC or a Macintosh computer. Minimum requirements for the PC include Windows 98, 2000, or XP operating system, as well as at least a 450 MHz processor. Although our courses should work with the Windows Vista Operating System, we do not currently provide support for technical issues encountered while utilizing Vista. For the Macintosh, you must have at least the OS 10.x operating system and a 500 MHz PowerPC. An Internet connection such as a modem, cable, DSL, or LAN connection, and an Internet Service Provider (high-speed Internet is strongly recommended) are required for taking courses.
Other general cross-platform hardware requirements include:
- speakers and/or headphones
- a sound card
- 512 MB of installed RAM
- a hard drive with a minimum of 40 GB of free space
- a printer
Some courses may require:
- a digital camera
- a digital video recorder (or a digital camera capable of recording movies) or webcam
- a flatbed scanner (this is an optional device that may be utilized in Art courses)
- a microphone and recording software
- Microsoft Office XP Professional and
- iTunes or any mp3 player
Macromedia Flash & Shockwave players
You will need the Flash player (or plug-in) and the Shockwave player (or plug-in) to enable you to benefit from all of our courses' interactive features. Test your browser with this Adobe test page to see if you have the plug-ins installed on your computer. If you do not see the animations, install the plug-ins from the sites below. Also if you are running version 10.1.1 of Shockwave, PC users will need to upgrade, and Mac users will need to download Shockwave from the alternate site listed below.
Mac Users, you will need to download the Full Installer version of Shockwave from Adobe.
Adobe Acrobat Reader
To access some files in the course, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader.
You can download Adobe Acrobat Reader from the Adobe site.
This course is best viewed with a color monitor set at a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels. Screen resolution settings can be adjusted in the display options for PC users and in the control panel for the Macintosh.
If you are having problems adjusting your settings, consult your operating system manual (Windows manual for PC users, Mac OS manual for Macintosh users).
Our courses require a Web browser. We highly recommend Mozilla Firefox (version 1.4 or later).
You may use:
- Mozilla Firefox (version 3.0 or later) recommended
- Google Chrome (version 29 or later)
- Internet Explorer (8.0 or later)
- Safari (version 3.0 or later for Macintosh)
We do not support the following browsers:
- AOL (any version)
- Opera (any version)
Make sure your browser is set to the following preferences:
- cookies accepted and enabled
- style sheets enabled
- pop-up blockers disabled
Roads™ Computer Requirements
Supported Operating Systems:
- Microsoft Wndows 98, Windows Millennium Editions, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP Professional or Home Edition, Windows Vista
- Apple Mac OS 10.4.8+ (Intel-based)
Minimum Hardware Specifications:
- Windows-compatible PC with an equivalent of 233 MHz Intel Pentium Processor
- Apple Macintosh with 180 MHz PowerPC 604e processor or higher (OS 10.4.8+ with Intel processor required for Instant Help)
- 512 MB of RAM
- Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution monitor with 256 colors. 1024 x 768 display area recommended
- 16-bit audio adapter and speakers
Internet Connection: It is highly recommended to have DSL, Cable, or better.
- DLS, Cable Modem or faster Internet access
Web Browsers: Free Downloads
- Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 or newer
- Netscape version 6.1 or greater and other Mozilla-based browsers (Firefox)
- Safari for Apple Mac and Microsoft Windows
Browser Plug-ins and Helper Applications
In addition to a compatible web-browswer, you will also need the following applications (all are free downloads):
- Adobe Flash Player version 9 or newer
- Adobe Schowave Player version 8 or newer
- Microsoft Silverlight version 3.0 or newer
- You will also need a compatible media player (one or more of the following): Microsoft Windows Media Player, Apple Quick Time Player, Real Player