Credit by Exams (CBEs) offer appropriate, reliable placement or credit for students in grades K-12. The exams are designed by curriculum experts and aligned to TEKS. Students may choose to take the exams for credit recovery or acceleration. View presentation.
With approval from the local school district, students in grades 6-12 who received prior instruction in a subject area but did not receive credit may earn credit by passing an exam (grade of 70% or above) that assesses the student's knowledge and skills in that subject area.
With approval from the local school district, students in grades K-12 seeking placement credit in a subject area in which they have not received prior instruction may earn credit by passing these exams with a grade of 80% or above. The UTHS Exam Certification can be found in the Exam Policy & Development section below.
District & School Discounts
District partners receive a discount on exam orders and have up to 60 days to complete testing. Order processing may take up to ten business days for received orders, and will be filled in the order received (regardless of optional shipping requests). Scoring times may vary and are scored in the order received, therefore please allow up to twenty business days for scoring.
Study guides for all K-12 CBEs are available and printable from the website at any time. Study guides for Communication Applications, English, Art, and PE are essential as these exams have specific requirements.
How to Order
Individual Student Orders
- Download and complete the Individual Enrollment (Standard) form or the Individual Enrollment (LOTE) form.
- Submit the completed forms by following the directions on each form.
School/District Bulk Orders
(Please allow up to ten business days for processing)
For all exams:
- Download and complete the Institutional Request Form.
- Download and submit the Institutional Student Report Form (via Box, see directions for more information) in the order desired for exam delivery.
Rush grading is available for all exams. Rush grading is available upon completion of the exam. The exam will be graded within 5 business days of the date that the exam is received from the proctoring location. If expedited shipping is necessary from the proctoring center to UTHS, those arrangements should be made by the parent/student with the proctoring center. Download the Rush Grading form and email it directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 512-471-7853.
Individual Student CBE Orders
- Individual exam enrollment: $50 per exam
- Individual LOTE exam enrollment: $50 per semester
- Individual LOTE exam enrollment: $100 per year
- Individual expedited shipping: $30 domestic
- Indivdiual international shipping: $75 international; $150 remote areas
District CBE Orders
- District bulk exam registration: $25 for standard exams
- District bulk LOTE exam registration: $25 for semester credit exams
- District bulk LOTE exam registration: $50 for year credit exams
- District expedited shipping (both ways): $20 per envelope (1-4 exams), $40 per 1 box (5-100 exams), $80 per 2 boxes (101-200 exams). Additional boxes, add $40 per box
Exam Extensions, Rush Grading, Change Requests, and Inquiries
- Credit by exam inquiry: $50
- Rush grading exams: $50
- Exam extension: $35 (must be requested prior to expiration date)
- Exam change requests: $25
- These include requests to change proctor, testing site, exam subject or grade level, or exam type from online to print or vice versa.
Exam Policy & Development
According to 19 TAC §74.24 Credit by Exams (c)(6), a student may not attempt to earn credit by examination for a specific high school course more than two times.
UTHS CBE Certification Reports
Texas' credit by exams policy 19 TAC §74.24 requires providers of CBEs to Texas school districts to certify that their examinations meet specific rule criteria and to report student scores annually. Please see the following UTHS CBE Certification Reports for details, including clarification of UTHS CBEs alignment with the new CBE rules effective August 2018.
UTHS CBE EOC Courses Certification Report applicable for 2018-19 school year
UTHS CBE Non-EOC Courses Certification Report applicable for 2018-19 school year
*Annual CBE Certification Reports including all students who tested during the 2017-18 academic year will be posted during the 2018-19 academic year.
**CBEs for EOC course subjects including Algebra 1, Biology, English 1, English 2, and United States History are available for both acceleration and recovery.
An Alternative Path to Success
Watch this short video of a parent and son as they explain how credit for acceleration will help to prepare for high school.