Credit by Exams (CBEs) offer appropriate, reliable placement or credit for students in grades K-12. The exams are designed by curriculum experts and aligned to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). Students may choose to take the exams for credit recovery or acceleration. View presentation.
We have extended all exams until May 31, 2020. Longer extensions will be provided as needed. If you need an exam extension due to testing center closures or have questions please contact us:
- Students email UTHSrequestCBE@austin.utexas.edu
- District educators email UTHSpartnerCBE@austin.utexas.edu
Extensions related to coronavirus closures will be provided at no cost.
We're working quickly to launch online proctoring for credit by exams. This will provide students and districts with an option to take exams at home with a video proctoring service, lockdown browser, and identification process. The projected launch date for credit by exams is early May.
With approval from the local school district, students in grades 6-12 who received prior instruction in a subject area but did not receive credit may earn credit by passing an exam (grade of 70% or above) that assesses the student's knowledge and skills in that subject area.
With approval from the local school district, students in grades K-12 seeking placement credit in a subject area in which they have not received prior instruction may earn credit by passing these exams with a grade of 80% or above. The annual UTHS Credit by Exam Certification Reports can be found in the Exam Policy & Development section below.
A variety of subjects are available for acceleration or credit recovery, including the high school STAAR end-of-course (EOC) subjects (Algebra I, Biology, English I, English II, and US History).
District & School Discounts
District partners receive a discount on exam orders and have up to 60 days to complete testing. It takes up to 10 business days for an order to be completed and placed in the mail (regardless of optional shipping requests). Any incomplete order requests will delay processing. Scoring times may vary and are scored in the order received, therefore please allow up to 20 business days for scoring.
Study guides for all K-12 CBEs are available and printable from the website at any time. Study guides for Communication Applications, English, Art, and PE are essential as these exams have specific requirements.
How to Order
Individual Student Orders
- Download and complete the Individual Enrollment (Standard) form or the Individual Enrollment (LOTE) form.
- Submit the completed forms by following the directions on each form.
School/District Bulk Orders
(Please allow up to 10 business days for processing)
For all exams:
- Download and complete the Institutional Request Form.
- Download and submit the Institutional Student Report Form (via Box, see directions for more information) in the order desired for exam delivery.
Rush grading is available for all exams. Rush grading is available upon completion of the exam. The exam will be graded within 5 business days of the date that the exam is received from the proctoring location. If expedited shipping is necessary from the proctoring center to UTHS, those arrangements should be made by the parent/student with the proctoring center. Download the Rush Grading form and email it directly to email@example.com or fax to 512-471-7853.
Individual Student CBE Orders
- Individual exam enrollment: $50 per exam
- Individual LOTE exam enrollment: $50 per semester
- Individual LOTE exam enrollment: $100 per year
- Individual expedited shipping: $30 domestic
- Individual international shipping: $75 international; $150 remote areas
District CBE Orders
- District bulk exam registration: $25 for standard exams
- District bulk LOTE exam registration: $25 for semester credit exams
- District bulk LOTE exam registration: $50 for year credit exams
- District expedited shipping (both ways): $20 per envelope (1-4 exams), $40 per 1 box (5-100 exams), $80 per 2 boxes (101-200 exams). Additional boxes, add $40 per box
- Credit by exam inquiry: $50
- Rush grading exams: $50
- Exam extension: $35 (must be requested prior to expiration date)
- Exam change requests: $25
- These include requests to change proctor, testing site, exam subject or grade level, or exam type from online to print or vice versa.
Exam Policy & Development
According to 19 TAC §74.24 Credit by Exams (c)(6), a student may not attempt to earn credit by examination for a specific high school course more than two times.
UTHS CBE Certification Reports
Texas' credit by exams policy 19 TAC §74.24 requires providers of CBEs to Texas school districts to certify that their examinations meet specific rule criteria and to report student scores annually. Please see the following UTHS CBE Certification Reports for details, which include alignment to the new rules effective August 2018. Clarification regarding rule changes is included in the 2017-18 report and the score report with the expanded student group data is included in the 2018-19 report. CBE Certification Reports including score reports for all students who tested during the prior year are posted annually by May.
UTHS CBE Certification Report 2018-19 applicable for the 2019-20 school year
UTHS CBE Certification Report 2017-18 applicable for the 2018-19 school year
Recommended District Best Practices for CBEs
View our UTHS recent presentations for guidance regarding best practices for offering credit by exams.
- Credit by Exam Data and Best Practices. Texas Assessment Conference. Austin, TX, November 2019.
An Alternative Path to Success
Watch this short video of a parent and son as they explain how credit for acceleration will help to prepare for high school.