Summary: The following screenshots follow the installation process. You should be able to follow the simple installation instructions, as seen below. Please note step 12, as it details how to exit the lockdown browser.
1. Before you begin installing Safe Exam Browser, if you have Deep Freeze or any other software that clears out user sessions installed on your computer, please turn them off (not doing so will cause the following installation to be deleted when you log out).
2. Download the following zip file, Safe Exam Browser (.zip). WARNING: Make sure to save the file to the local C: drive, not to a network drive. If you're not sure, check the file path for the folder. If it doesn't start with "C:" or "Desktop", it's likely not being stored locally. If you're not able to do this, or not sure, contact your local IT support person
3. Next, unzip using whichever zip program you normally use. If using Windows, click on "Extract All Files" as seen below; otherwise, extract or unzip the files using your zip program. Put the unzipped files in any folder you like (e.g. Downloads folder). WARNING: If you do not Unzip or extract the files from the Zip folder, the installation will not work correctly. If you are not sure how to do this, please contact your IT staff, or contact UT High School at (888) 232-4723.
4. Next, open/double-click the file "SebWindowsInstall.msi" file; this should start the Installation process.
5. Once the Installation popup appears, click "Next".
6. Select "I agree" and click "Next".
7. Leave Installation folder as it appears (if you change this, it may prevent the Safe Exam Browser from working properly). Click "Next".
8. Click "Next".
9. Click "Close".
10. The Installation window should close. We advise creating a shortcut for easy access to the Safe Exam Browser. To create the shortcut, find the SebStarter.exe file in the Safe Exam Folder created in Program Files (should be: C:\Program Files\ETH Zuerich\SEB Windows 1.7\SebWindowsClient\Release). Right-Click on SebStarter.exe and click on "Create Shortcut".
11. To test the Safe Exam Browser, click on the shortcut or the SebStarter.exe file listed above. This should open the lockdown browser and start on the UT High School Online CBE login screen. Students will login to this page and take their CBE's here.
12. To exit the Safe Exam Browser, press and hold down F4, then while holding down F4, press and hold down F9, then while holding down both F4 and F9, press and hold down F6 for a second or two. This should exit the Safe Exam Browser and provide access to the computer's desktop again.
Summary:The following screenshots follow the installation process. If you just want to follow the installation instructions and do not need the screenshots, Proceed to step 8 and complete the following steps
- Before you begin installing Safe Exam Browser, if you have Deep Freeze or any other software that clears out user sessions installed on your computer, please turn them off (not doing so will cause the following installation to be deleted when you log out).
- Click on Mac Download (.zip format)
- The .zip file should appear in your downloads folder.
- Unzip the file so that the "SafeExamBrowser" file appears.
- Copy/drag the SafeExamBrowser file to the Applications folder
- When asked if you want to open the file, click "Open".
- In the Applications folder, click on the SafeExamBrowser file. This should open up the Safe Exam Lock Down Browser.
- The next step is to configure the Browser. Press the F3 and F6 keys (on modern Mac keyboards you also have to hold the fn key). This should open up the configuration popup window as seen below. In the Start URL field, enter "https://ceonline.austin.utexas.edu/k16", as seen in the image (excluding the quotes).
- We recommend setting up an Administrator password for the person(s) that will be maintaining the Safe Exam Browser application. Then, set a "Quit" password, that will be used by Exam Proctors. Do not share either of these passwords with students. Once finished, click "OK".
- Lastly, verify that the Quit process works. Press cmd + Q. This should bring up a password input field. Enter the Quit Password that you entered in step 9. This should exit the Safe Exam Browser and return you to the Desktop.
- For further information on Safe Exam Browser for Mac, please refer to: Safe Exam Browser for Mac instructions